The history of Prada begins in 1913 when Mario Prada, Miuccia Prada’s grandfather, opened the first store in Milan. Located in the prestigious Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, the exclusive Prada store offered luggage and luxury goods manufactured with the finest artisanal manufactures, using exquisite materials. The store soon establishes itself as elegant shopping destination for the most prestigious Italian and European customers, consolidating its role in 1919 with the title of Official Supplier of the Italian Royal Household, which allowed the brand to include the House of Savoy coat of arms and knotted rope insignia in its trademark logo.
Miuccia Prada and Patrizio Bertelli started working together in the late 1970’s, laying the foundation for the future international expansion of the Group; Patrizio Bertelli pioneered the introduction of a new business model in the luxury industry, based on the direct control of all processes, applying rigorous uncompromised quality criteria through all stages of production. A business model that goes hand in hand with Miuccia Prada’s maverick creativity, which commanded international attention for its innovative approach inspired by her unconventional observation of society that allows her to anticipate - and often set – fashion and style trends.
Today the Prada brand offers men’s and women’s leather goods, ready-to-wear and footwear, combining contemporary, innovative and sophisticated design with the uniqueness of handcrafted products. Prada also operates in the eyewear and fragrance sector.